It's hard to wrap my mind around all the history in places such as this. I can only imagine what the children are thinking when we say that this building has been around since 1392, I hope they understand it a little. If anything, Ash thinks castles are awesome and so do I so we've got that going for us.
We began in Mozart Platz (Salzburg is the birth place of Mozart) and walked past the Cathedral, St. Peter's Church and St. Peter's cemetery.
Mozart Platz
The Cathedral, super beautiful.
I assume this date across the entrance pertains to when construction began.
774??? Holy crap that's soooo old. (That has basically been my mantra this entire summer).
St. Peter's cemetary. Very peaceful and pretty.
After waking through the cemetary we entered the Catacombs within the cemetary. Historians say that early traces of Christianity can be found here dating back to around 700. (So fricking old!!)
Here are some pictures, it was pretty incredible to explore.
I guess church services are still held in the cave chapel today.
After that we rode a funicular up to a huge Castle/fortress called Festung Hohensalzburg.
It was really cool and we spend most of the afternoon there exploring the grounds and learning about the historical contents and construction of the castle. We all really enjoyed the experience.
View from the top of the tower.
Display of old armor.
Concert and State Rooms
A second viewing area
We made our way down from the castle and had a quick dinner. There we had the kids listen to a little Mozart so they would have some idea of whose house we were going to go see.
We walked down a famous pedestrian street on the way and it was super interesting.
Then checked out Mozart's birthplace and the Maribel Gardens before calling it quits for the day.
The Gardens
It was a great trip! Once home the kids and I watched Tangled (my choice, I've been wanting to watch that movie forever!) and then headed to bed. :)






















No comments:
Post a Comment