Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Slocum vacation part one: Innsbruck and our first day in Sirmione

Last week we decided to hit the road for a 7 day tour of Austria and Italy. Since I can't drive a stick shift Ron was stuck in the drivers seat for a grand total of roughly 23 hours. With all the driving the kids did really well thanks to my iPad and a headphone splitter (Thank you Aunt Cari and thank you to the Lego Corporation for their outstanding selection of films). Every hotel room had air conditioning, we found water to play in at almost every place, and red wine was cheap, so all parties were equally satisfied. 

We began by driving to a fabulous mountain city called Innsbruck and stayed the night in a super old hotel (circa 1500s) right in the heart of the oldest section of the city. After exploring a bit we took a funicular up to a small plateau overlooking the city and went to an Alpen Zoo that featured lots of mountain animals. The kids really enjoyed it.  

Our hotel


The "Golden Roof" A must see in Innsbruck


My first taste of Prosecco, very yummy!


Downtown Innsbruck




Fun in the funicular 



Alpen Zoo Bear


Super Freaky Death Vulture


A newly discovered species


We took the funicular one more stop up to catch a beautiful view of the city. 


Lemmie take a selfie...


Ron, Ash, and Cosette then took a cable car to a way super high peak and I politely excused myself from this adventure citing my last horrific experience in a fricking cable car. 

Enjoy the ride! No, no I'll miss you too... :) 




Super yummy dinner afterwards


And random outdoor concert we stumbled across. 


The next morning we ate like kings during breakfast and drove into Italy. We spent two lovely nights in a little city called Sirmione. It was located on a small peninsula jutting into the biggest lake in Italy called Lake Guarda. This was by far my favorite place. I could have stayed there the entire week/my entire life and Cosette could have too. It was like a little paradise. Our Hotel was located directly next to a CASTLE. Seriously. It shared a wall with old city castle and provided us with a little private (not really private) beach right behind the hotel. 

The drive into our hotel was insane. We felt like we were in a movie. 

This is what we had to drive through. 





I was giggling the whole time while Ron sweated bullets in the seat next to me. 

Here are some pictures of Sirmione...ugh, I want to go back. 

View from our hotel room


"Private" beach pics 









This is the castle we were next to 



Ok I believe I have over saturated you with photos. :) Tomorrow I will post some more pics of Sirmione, Verona, Genoa, Udine, and Mondsee. Whew!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment