Monday, June 16, 2014

Steyr

Yesterday (Sunday) began with me forgetting it was Fathers Day. Yikes! But to my defense, there are NO reminders here for me. No Hallmark commercials with weeping fathers or anything. I'm also a rather forgetful person and a bit overwhelmed with, well, living in a different fricking country. So who got up with the kids on Sunday? That would be Ron. He said he knew I forgot when in response to Cosette asking me to wake up I mumbled, "Go ask your father." He also cooked and cleaned up breakfast. Towards the middle of the day I realized and the kids make some very nice cards for him, but he definitely has the upper hand at this point. I did get to FaceTime with my dad, brother, nephew, and Grandparents and that was great! 

We left right after breakfast yesterday and drove 40 minutes to an adorable old city called Steyr. It's a place that Ron has been to a few different times on his own and wanted to show us. The city is very old and the buildings were very interesting to explore. Like a typical European city the streets were cobble stone and very narrow. There were a couple churches right in the center (Austria is majority Catholic) and a very cute city center. Two rivers (the Steyr and the Erre (spelling may be wrong) join in the middle of the city and it is beautiful! 

Here are some pictures: 


Steyr River

 
Along this old bridge there were a ton of locks. On each locks were the initials of couples. 


How adorable! 


Steyr River

 
Shot of residential area. 


A plaque of the castle located in the center of the city. Every place we have visited so far has had a castle of some sort and remnants of the original, like a very old stone wall. The kids think it's really cool.

 
Example of the original castle wall and some goats roaming around. :) 


The inside of a very old Catholic Church with gorgeous stained glass windows. 




After lunch we went to where the two rivers meet and it was beautiful! 



Here are a couple pics of the city. 



After we got home we went to Simon and Lisi's for a barbecue and it was really fun! I'm lucky that Ron had made such good friends with people here. Kind of like a make shift community! 


Have a great day!


3 comments:

  1. Wow! So Beautiful! Enjoy your stay. I'm glad to see you are all together again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pictures! Just love seeing your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful city!! I love reading about your adventures :) And Olivia loves this last pic!!

    ReplyDelete