Wednesday, June 11, 2014

First day on my own!

Tuesday was my first day solo. It went quite well. I figured out how to download a map of Wels off line so I can access it on the phone no matter where I am. The night before I wrote step by step directions to a pool facility call Weldorado that I anticipate will be my Mecca while Ron is working. We all got up and headed out mid morning. It was in the 90s yesterday and super sunny! The kids were troopers though and walked along with me. It's a 30 minute walk to the pool one way. Ash is convinced that walking so much will ultimately make him the fastest in his class so he is all about it. Cosette complains at times, but overall follows along. 

We got to the pool and the attendant didn't speak English. I tried to motion to the family and pointed to the brochure to what I wanted to purchase, I ended up conversing in broken English to the cleaning lady but we figured it out. :) 

We spent the day at Weldorado and it's great! There are 4 outdoor pools, each each with a different slide. Some are geared toward older children, others to toddlers. There is green grass everywhere where you can lay your towel. There are also two out door playgrounds and a restaurant/ice cream shop. You can bring your own toys and food etc.

The kids really liked it. I definitely got an eye full of large, middle aged men in Speedos and pre teen girls running around without a top. Not a big deal though. Women here are not self conscious at all and everyone wore bikinis no matter what body type you had. I too wore a bikini and felt like I didn't have to "suck it in" as much as I normally feel.

Here are some pics at the pool. 




Me relaxing on a hammock. 


Me no longer relaxing on a hammock. 

We left late afternoon and walked home along the river back to our apt. As we were walking I noticed some people were swimming in the river. I glanced down and there plain as day (3:00 on a Tuesday afternoon to be exact) were two women, I'm guessing in there 20s, standing together enjoying a cigarette totally nude. Head to toe nude. I couldn't believe it! 

At the apt the kids took naps and when Ron returned we went to an authentic Austrian restaurant (pic of name below). We sat at an outdoor bier garten and had a very nice meal. 


We then walked to the river and played around on a wooden pirate ship till Ash announced that he had to go number 2 very badly. "Water Closets" are not so plentiful here like in the US. You can't just walk in anywhere and expect to use the restroom. Lots of places don't have one and others will charge you a Euro. There are three free places I've noted in the city so Ron and Ash ran. We ended up back at the apt quite late and hit the sack. 

Today I plan to check out an Austian market for the first time and get some food in this apt!

No comments:

Post a Comment